By now we should know the stats on plastics in the sea, but for those of you who don’t know here it is again:
- 206 kg of plastic waste is dumped in the ocean every second by us.
- 60 tot 90% of waste that goes into the sea is plastic.
- 1 million seabirds and 100,000 turtles die due to plastic waste in the sea.
- We consume 500 billion plastic bags a year.
- Only 5% of our plastic is recycled.
Every year the Surfrider Foundation organises a day in which we are asked to come to the beach to clean it. Thankfully there are also other initiatives around the world that do this, one example is the movie made by Ren Kyst who prompts us to do the right thing.
So come and join us anywhere on a beach close by to clean it up and protect the sea and all its creatures living in it!